Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Not too deep

No deep thoughts today. Shallow, shallow, shallow.

Well, my dad is out of the hospital. I drove three hours to my parents house on Friday. I got my mom's meds adjusted (we hide the Xanax) and brought my dad home. He has been on dialysis since his first bout with Myeloma 5 years ago. He wasn't getting enough fluid off since he continues to lose weight. He had a little pneumonia, but he's okay now. So just back to chemo and dialysis a couple days a week. Geez - what a way to live. And my dad rarely complains (about medical issues that is; Bush is still president for 4 more months!)

Oh - and I set his Tivo to tape Survivor Gabon and the new Dexter. Birdwalk alert! Doesn't it just piss you off that every Survivor has a new name and my Tivo doesn't know to tape it. How many times have I missed the first episode of the season? Is this happening to everyone? Why can't this be fixed. They can put a man on the moon, but .......

Anyway, that stress is off, so it's back to worrying about the important things in life: masters classes, 40th birthday party, organic vs. affordable baby food, and new celebrities on Dancing with the Stars.

Since I'm on the subject of reality TV, let me just say that I am addicted. I make no apologies (unless you count this.) I love it. I often come to think of the people on the show as my personal friends (or enemies.) I can't stand the supercilious bumper sticker "Kill Your Television." If this makes me shallow, well, at least I am honest. My TV would be the one possession I'd take to desert island. Well....only if I had a satellite dish.

3 comments:

Carolyn Fields said...

May I just say your are one of the wittiest people I know. I loved reading this entry. Sorry I can't add much to the discussion regarding reality TV. That's Jillian's area.

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs. They look and sound like blogs. Congratulations on that. I hope all is well with you and your family. Have a great weekend.

A per the reality TV strand... I like some reality TV. Amazing Race, Idol, So You Think You Can Dance and the like. Not so much for the Survivors and MTVs... they are too vulgar and manipulative for me. I ends up bumming me out to know that our students live on that garbage. I guess I like talent and clean competitions.

Anywho... enough for now. Out

Karen Hatzigeorgiou said...

Hey Miss Page, I'm really enjoying reading your blog posts! And I'll dive right in with the TV theme -- am somewhat guiltily addicted to vulgar and manipulative TV shows, especially sci-fish stuff. I have to control my consumption! Yes, I'll admit, I'm an appointment TV watcher. It's my drug of choice. Here's my line-up - Sunday: Mad Men, Entourage, and True Blood (hot looking vampires . . . YES!) Monday: Heroes, although I'm starting to lose interest. Tuesday: House, Fringe. Wednesday: Project Runway. Thursday: Survivor, Supernatural, & ER. Friday and Saturday are movie nights. And yes, I do read and do a gillion other things besides watch TV. Okay, enough of the confessional. Am leaving for my twelve step program now . . .